One Word 2022
Updated: Jan 2
Your passion is for you. Your purpose is for others. Your passion becomes a purpose when you use to serve others. Jay Shetty
I’ve spent the last few years seeking and igniting my passion – so much so, that in 2018 it unintentionally became my One Word (read how in 2018: A Watershed Year). Since then, I have continued to light, stoke and reignite my passions.
My One Words for the last few years have all been for me:
This year however, I feel driven to shift the focus away from myself. I feel compelled to fuel my passions and put them to use in service of others, rather than having them as predominantly hobbies which enrich my life but don’t offer as much to others. In “Think Like a Monk: Train Your Mind for Peace and Purpose Every Day”, Jay Shetty shares the concept of Dharma – Passion + Expertise + Usefulness = Dharma. He states, ‘When you spend your time and energy living in your dharma, you have the satisfaction of using your abilities and doing something that matters to the world.' This also aligns with one of my top core needs, significance, which I’ve come to realise it at the heart of much of what I do.
Most of us spend our days seeking to achieve, but in the wee hours when we lie awake, it is significance that our hearts truly desire. Kim Bearden
This year, I am following my heart’s calling, and have chosen PURPOSE for my 2022 One Word.
1. the reason why something is done or used: the aim or intention of something.
2. the feeling of being determined to do or achieve something.
3. the aim or goal of a person: what a person is trying to do, become, etc.
For me, this means:
1. I will reflect on the ‘why’ behind my choices, decisions and actions, both personally and professionally. I will ‘start with why’, Simon Sinek says, to ensure clarity and intent.
2. I will identify goals and take action to achieve them.
3. I will seek ways to contribute in meaningful ways to other lives.
The first step on my journey will be to spend some time identifying a purpose statement – what is my why. And not just as an educator, which is what I tend to focus on the most, but as a person – my ‘big picture’ why. I will then identify steps or actions I will take in order to fulfil this purpose. I hope you will follow my journey towards living a life of passion AND purpose.